Council Tax Debt?

Look no further - we can help!

Appeal a Council Tax Bill or Fine

Appeal a bill

Tell your council immediately if you think:

  • your home shouldn’t be charged Council Tax
  • the bills are being sent to the wrong person for your home
  • the amount being charged is wrong
  • the council hasn’t reduced the bill even though a disabled person lives there

You can’t appeal just because you think your Council Tax bill is too expensive.

Contact the Valuation Office Agency to appeal against your Council Tax band.

How to appeal your bill

Write to your council, saying why you think your bill is wrong.

The council will decide that the bill is either:

  • wrong and send you a new one
  • right and explain why

If the council decides your bill is wrong, you must continue to pay the amounts listed in your original bill until the new bill arrives.

The council has 2 months to reply.

If you disagree with the council’s decision

If you think the council’s decision is wrong, or you don’t hear back within 2 months, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

The Valuation Tribunal is independent of the VOA. It’s a free service but you have to pay for your own costs.

You must appeal within:

  • 2 months of the council telling you its decision
  • 4 months of you first writing to the council (if you haven’t had a response)

You may be able to get the time limit extended if you can’t apply in time because of circumstances beyond your control.

If the tribunal agrees with you, the council will update your bill and adjust your monthly payments.

Get help

The Valuation Tribunal has guidance on:

You can also contact the tribunal for help.

Valuation Tribunal
Telephone: 0300 123 2035

can't pay council tax

The Money Advice Service is an impartial service set up by the Government. They provide free debt counselling, debt adjustment and credit information services.

Call us today on: 0800 088 2599 or our local number: (01282) 218218

Churchill House, 60 Bank Parade
Burnley, Lancashire, BB11 1TS

Council Tax Helper is a trading name of Leado. Registered in England & Wales No. 10145421. Data Protection Registration No. ZA180491

council tax help, council tax helper, council tax bands, council tax, council tax council, council tax help