Who Pays Council Tax
Council Tax Debt?
Look no further - we can help!
You’ll usually have to pay Council Tax if you’re 18 or over and own or rent a home.
A full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.
You’ll get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:
- you live on your own
- no-one else in your home counts as an adult
You’ll usually get a 50% discount if no-one living in your home, including you, counts as an adult.
You will not have to pay any Council Tax if everyone in your home, including you, is a full-time student.
Who does not count as an adult?
These people are not counted as adults for Council Tax:
- children under 18
- people on some apprentice schemes
- 18 and 19-year-olds in full-time education
- full-time college and university students
- young people under 25 who get funding from the Skills Funding Agency or Young People’s Learning Agency
- student nurses
- foreign language assistants registered with the British Council
- people with a severe mental impairment
- live-in carers who look after someone who is not their partner, spouse, or child under 18
Contact your local council if you’re unsure about whether you can get a discount or who’s responsible for paying.
People on apprentice schemes
To show that you do not qualify as an adult for Council Tax, you’ll need a declaration from your employer stating that:
- you will not be paid more than £195 a week
- the training leads to a qualification accredited by a body recognised by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) or the Scottish Vocational Education Council (SVEC)
If you get a Council Tax discount by mistake
You must tell your council. If you do not, you could get a fine.
The council may ask you to pay back the discount.
Call us today on: 0800 088 2599 or our local number: (01282) 218218
Churchill House, 60 Bank Parade
Burnley, Lancashire, BB11 1TS
Council Tax Helper is a trading name of Leado. Registered in England & Wales No. 10145421. Data Protection Registration No. ZA180491
council tax help, council tax helper, council tax bands, council tax, council tax council, council tax help